February 4, 2012

The Top 20 Albums of 2011 - #14 - Smith Westerns: Dye It Blonde

The Top 20 Albums of 2011
#14 Smith Westerns: Dye It Blonde
Words by Dirk Calloway

Preface: For the last week and the next couple, I've been reviewing one of 2011's Best Albums each day. If you want to catch up on any that you've missed, click this link here.

I found out about Smith Westerns in some sort of an online article that probably read "5 best indie bands of the month". Usually that sort of thing is just done to boost click-through rates on the publisher's website, and mostly the so-called "best indie bands" are barely able to hold my attention. In the case of Smith Westerns' first song Weekend though... within ten seconds I understood. I got it. Check it out to see if you do too:

That guitar! Wow! Probably the best lick available in all of the albums I'll be reviewing. Gorgeous tone, fantastic style... completely derivative. But I could care less if it sounds like T-Rex, Mott the Hoople and David Bowie colluded to make one last single: I love those bands! I love their styles. Weekend captured me throughout, because every few seconds I'd be crossing my fingers hoping the guitar would come back. 
But this isn't a blog series about great songs, or great hooks. No, this is about great albums. So, my justification of Smith Westerns' placement on this list is that the guitar, and the surrounding tone, keeps coming back, song after song. The next track, Still New screams in a repeated riff that maybe reflects the haze felt by the lads above. Check out this live version of it:

The only way to improve this album would be to get a stronger drum mix. The snare never feels substantial enough. Next record I want to hear a thunderous rhythm section, threatening to drown out the guitars. If I were to compare Dye It Blonde to a superior guitar-driven rock record like The Libertines' second self-titled cut, that'd be the main difference. So, next time around, hopefully I get my wish. I suspect whatever they do next will be brilliant.

Check in tomorrow for the next review folks. I'll keep 'em coming, if you keep reading. Also, if you wanna catch up on the other 20 Best Albums of 2011, click this link here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before you comment here, remember... sic transit gloria.