February 17, 2012

The Top 20 Albums of 2011 - #5 - You Won't: Skeptic Goodbye


The Top 20 Albums of 2011
#5 You Won't: Skeptic Goodbye
Words by Dirk Calloway

Preface: I've been reviewing the Top 20 Albums of 2011 in an ongoing series. You can read the other entries here.

I found out about this record from a colleague, who said something like "you'll be into this" and gave me a link to You Won't's (awkward usage of possessive "s") BandCamp page. Turns out that he was right. I was into this. So, please allow me to do the same for you: http://youwont.bandcamp.com. There you'll be able to stream the entire album, buy it, share it, etc. Because I assume you can't be bothered clicking that link, consider watching their new video for the album's first song:


The band pull the rug out from their listener three times in the first minute alone. At first you think it'll be a record like Crystal Castles' last effort, then you think it'll be a rip-off of Bon Iver's debut, then... you realise this is Simon and Garfunkel reimagined in 2011, by way of Vampire Weekend. And then... a minute later you find out you were wrong, again. No, this is not a derivative band at all. This is a wholly unique sound that arrives fully formed, right from the first song, and indeed for the band's debut album. Check out the beautiful Television below:


As far as debuts go, this is a classic. I like each track, I've listened to the album weekly since I bought it (digitally! Oooo) midway through 2011. I guess that means I've heard it around 25 times now. I'm a pretty attentive listener, so it's a real credit to You Won't that I hear something new whenever I give the record 'a spin' (completely redundant term if you buy something via iTunes. For an idea on their mad skills, check out the live video below:


Massive sound for two guys. I have to say, it's a joy to get to this point in my Top Albums of the year. It's a joy to "have to" listen to Skeptic Goodbye. The lyrics are wonderous in their ability to set a tone. Their delivery, sometimes accompanied by accordion and mandolin, can sound timeless, while the verses are overtly modern. Take these lines from Who Knew for example: "If I was a middle-aged man, I would buy you a new mini-van or two.... If I was Marty McFly, I would go back to when we were 9 or 10, and I'd be your best friend; say that I knew you well." Listen to it below:

Gorgeous. This is music that stands proudly on its own two feet, its performers seemingly unafraid of their audience. They sound confident, assured and ambitious. This is exactly the type of album I want to remember 2011 producing. It's just shy of 40 minutes, and blasts through 12 songs in that time. Each track ranges in length, which says to me that this is a band aware of each melody's limitations; Skeptic Goodbye will never wear out its welcome. Speaking of which, let's wrap this review up now. If you'd like to see You Won't play a great set live in a cemetery, click this link here.


Thanks for reading folks. Only four more to go! If you want to catch up on any reviews you might have missed from this series, head here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before you comment here, remember... sic transit gloria.